For entrepreneurs looking to grow their business (who isn’t!), I think one of most under-appreciated marketing and lead generation tactic is to generate inbound leads through traffic from search engines. Of course, one of the biggest drivers for ranking well in search engines, along with links to your site from other sites, is to have high quality content. Web content is powerful.
Let’s look at the five Fs for web content:
- Frequent – New content should be published on a regular basis at least once a week if not several times per week. Getting into a good publishing rhythm, and sticking with it, is critical to building momentum as it takes a significant amount of time for the web traffic to build.
- Fun – Web content, especially blog content, is better served in a fun and personal manner. Too often we read corporate speak with a variety of gobblegook words — don’t do it.
- Facts – People like facts, figures, and statistic to make the content more interesting. Yes, I’m not good at this on my own blog, but do as I say and not as I do. Use hard data to make your point and provide compelling information.
- Food for Thought – Make the content interesting and memorable. Take an unusual stand or position that is likely to make someone think twice about it. Good food for thought will give people a reason to subscribe or comeback to the site.
- Fans and Followers – Look for ways to stay in touch with your fans and followers through RSS, Facebook, Twitter, and any other networks they use on a regular basis. Go to their networks, as opposed to limiting access to your own site.
Don’t just sit there — start writing content. But, remember, pace yourself and do it on a regular basis. You won’t regret it.