A little over two weeks ago ExactTarget acquired Pardot (see ExactTarget and Pardot Join Forces) and things have been a blur ever since with congratulatory phone calls, in-person meetings to tell the back story, and kind email notes. Throughout it all there have been a number of common questions that have repeatedly come up.
Here are common questions founders get asked after a startup exit:
- Did you approach them or did they approach you?
- Was it a competitive bidding situation?
- Why did they pay the valuation they paid?
- Did you think the business would sell for that amount?
- How long did the acquisition process take?
- How stressful was it?
- What did your family think when they found out?
- What are you going to do to celebrate?
- What are you going to splurge on?
- What are you going to buy your spouse as a thank you gift?
- What’s next?
There has been a number of other questions but these were the most common. Selling a business is an emotional experience and it’s fun to talk through the details.
What else? What are some other common questions for a founder after the sale of the business?