Recently I was talking to a friend and he posed the question, “how does life change after a nice exit?” After thinking about it for a second, I quickly replied that things really aren’t any different. This amazing, life-changing event happens and things continue as normal, as would be expected.
Here are some things that do change after a nice exit:
- More people ask you to join their non-profit board, be a startup advisor, give advice, etc
- Local entrepreneur-related organizations ask you to speak (you’re the cool new kid at the party)
- Private wealth managers and investment advisors aggressively seek to manage your money with many different ideas on how to invest it
- Friends, family, and acquaintances realize that this crazy entrepreneur (you) really was on to something and wasn’t just toiling away alone in the basement (things seem so much more legitimate when there’s a large dollar exit attached to it)
- Earning money, for the purposes of making ends meet and having a nice lifestyle, no longer becomes something on the to do list, resulting in more thinking about how to make an impact in your field/community and leave a legacy
In the end, life is about the journey, relationships, higher purpose, and the all the little things. Like a big canvas with only a tiny picture drawn, a nice exit is just an opportunity to continue fleshing out the art.
What else? What are some other ways life changes after a nice exit?