After finishing the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, I now highly recommend it to entrepreneurs. The book has a tremendous number of short anecdotes and ideas about how to be a better person. In the latter part of the book the author enumerates 12 core principles to win people over for your way of thinking:
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
- Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say, “You’re wrong.”
- If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Dramatize your ideas.
- Throw down a challenge.
Entrepreneurs should put this book on their list and embrace the 12 core principles.
What else? What are your thoughts on the 12 core principles?