Corporate culture is a funny thing. Similar to my favorite definition of brand — how you feel about the last experience with a company — culture is expectations of how people behave, both internal and external, at a company. Only, without intentionality around culture, culture will be inconsistent and corresponding behavior expectations low. The strongest cultures have clear values, repeatable processes, and high expectations.
Culture is powerful.
Culture is a unique differentiator.
Culture is the only thing in complete control of the entrepreneurs.
Here are 12 ideas to strengthen culture:
- Establish the mission, vision, and values
- Develop a Simplified One Page Strategic Plan and update it quarterly
- Build SMART goals/OKRs and revisit them weekly
- Run daily check-ins for active organization of priorities
- Organize an interview flow for the desired values
- Integrate culture check teams in the hiring process
- Ensure quarterly check-ins to review results and areas for improvement
- Highlight the hero and idea of the month
- Send a weekly update email to keep everyone aligned
- Solicit regular employee feedback at all levels
- Incentivize internal referrals for people with similar values
- Escape the office with regular off-site retreats
High performing companies have high performing cultures. Use these ideas to build a strong, enduring culture.