After our hosting provider had internal network issues last week, setting up redundant datacenters became a top priority. After much debate, here’s what we decided on for our new SaaS infrastructure:
- Enterprise-class round robin DNS with automatic fail-over
- Two datacenters with identical infrastructure:
- One Linux load balancer (1 dual core CPU, 2 GB of RAM)
- Two Linux app servers (1 quad core CPU, 4 GB of RAM)
- High-end MySQL database server (2 quad core CPUs, 12 GB of RAM, RAID 5)
The database servers are configured in a master-master replication setup such that each datacenter is fully autonomous.
Now, time to get to work and set things up.