The cost to develop web-based software has dropped an order of magnitude over the past 15 years. Part of it is due to the rise of open source software, part of it is due to cloud computing, and part of it is due to general advancements in software development. One area that’s been fascinating to watch is the rise of cloud-based software engineering tools to enhance communication, quality control, performance, and more.
Here’s an example set of cloud-based software engineering tools:
- GitHub – Source code management and version control system
- GitHub Issues – Issue tracker and milestone management system
- Codeship – Automate testing and product deployment
- Airbrake – Capture product errors as they occur
- Rigor – Monitor web application performance from real browsers in the cloud
- New Relic – Analyze product performance at the code level
- Amazon Web Services – Numerous products including application and database hosting
Building a quality application still takes expertise and time. Cloud-based software engineering tools greatly enhance the process.
What else? What are some other cloud-based software engineering tools that you use?