Product roadmaps are a tricky thing in startups. As a startup, one of the most important aspects of the business is the ability to move fast and make decisions quickly based on new information. With a detailed roadmap, especially one shared with key customers, the ability to change direction can be greatly diminished.
Here are a few thoughts on product roadmaps:
- Consider outlining the public-facing plans in minimal detail for flexibility
- Maintain an internal-only roadmap with more information and specifics
- Incorporate feedback from sales, marketing, services, support, engineering, customers, and partners
- Capture internal ideas in a simple Google Sheet with separate tabs for each constituency
- Provide an idea exchange for customers to submit requests (e.g. tools like GetSatisfaction)
- Constantly revisit the roadmap and question how the pieces fit together
Product roadmaps are an important part of any tech company. In startups, roadmaps are especially sensitive and should be dynamic whenever possible.
What else? What are some more thoughts on product roadmaps in a startup?