Recently an entrepreneur emailed me some market research questions as they’re working on refining their product and trying to better understand the pain points. Seeing the list, I immediately thought that this is a good starting point for other entrepreneurs doing research as many of the questions can be repurposed to be broadly applicable.
Here are some generic market research questions where ‘XYZ’ should be substituted for the specific topic:
- How do you currently accomplish XYZ?
- How many people in your organization are involved in XYZ?
- Have you ever had any problems with XYZ?
- What are your most common problems with XYZ, if any?
- What is the workflow like for people that are involved in XYZ?
- How would you make XYZ better?
- What do you dislike the most about XYZ, outside of the problems?
- With 10 being most important and 1 being least important, how important is it for you to improve XYZ?
- With 10 being most important and 1 being least important, how important is it for you to solve the biggest problem with XYZ?
- What other products or services related to XYZ do you use?
- Are there any challenges with the related products or services?
- Any other thoughts, comments, or recommendations for us?
Entrepreneurs researching a market would do well to employ these questions as they gather information and talk to prospective customers.
What else? What are some more generic market research questions to add to the list?