Each month I meet with a group of entrepreneurs to talk about how we can make our respective companies great places to work. We typically spend three hours in the meeting divided into two topics. One of our topics today was continuing education for employees, as defined as internal training and development as well as external programs and courses.
At my company, we do the following continuing education and training programs:
- $1,500 annual education budget per employee, regardless of position
- Weekly manager training workshop
- Weekly sales training workshop
- Occasional book study with previous selections including Mastering the Rockefeller Habits and Death by Meeting
- Occasional lunch-and-learn gatherings on general industry topics
I picked up some new ideas at the meeting today that I’m looking forward to implementing. After we try some, I’ll report back here on their effectiveness. Continuing education is a critical part of a fast growing company and I’m a big proponent of it.