After hiring over 40 people in the past few years I’ve had the chance to look at a bunch of resumes. So, naturally, there a few things that consistently stand out. I’m no expert but here are a few tips geared specifically towards recent graduates:
- Include everything on one page (there’s no way there’s more than one page worth of relevant info)
- Include your major GPA and overall GPA, but only out to one decimal (recent Emory graduates have a tendency to take it out to three decimal places, so the career center over there must be telling them to do so)
- Use no more than two fonts and make the layout consistent throughout
- Double and triple check for typos and grammar (yes, my blog posts have both)
- Make the purpose or goal paragraph at the top meaningful and don’t just say the desire is gainful employment
- Read Mike Landman’s 7 Rules for Job Seekers
What else? What are some other resume tips for recent graduates?