Continuing yesterday’s post titled Thoughts on Inbound Marketing, I want to highlight the power of driving traffic to blogs by way of examples from previous posts on this blog. Inbound links, social media, search engines, RSS subscribers, and email subscribers drive the vast majority of traffic.
Some numbers and details on traffic to this blog:
- A typical weekday has 160 visitors and a typical weekend day has 80 visitors, almost all from subscribers (RSS + email) and social media
- Search engines drove 230 visitors to the blog last week
- Traffic for last week was 1,535 page views
- Busiest day ever was Sunday, June 6, 2010 with 1,204 page views due to Reddit driving traffic to the Post Mortem on a Failed Product
- Most tweeted post with 239 was 50 Things Every Startup Should Know
- HBS Prof Tom Eisenman’s post yesterday Launching Tech Ventures: Part IV, Readings has driven 37 visitors so far
The morale of the story: high quality inbound links drive the most one-off jumps in traffic, which slowly grows repeat visitors over time.