Next month I’ll be at the Capital Factory Demo Day 2011 on 9/7 in Austin, Texas. In addition to being my first time in Austin, I’m looking forward to learning how the startup community is similar and disimilar to the Atlanta community. Austin is like Atlanta in many ways — low cost of living, prominent university, numerous young professionals, and more. Atlanta wins when it comes to metro population, professional sports teams, and airport size but Austin wins when it comes to anchor technology company (Dell), coolness factor (Keep Austin Weird), and events (SXSW and live music).
Here are some questions I’m going to ask people in the local Austin startup community:
- What things are going well in the Austin startup community and what areas are struggling?
- What group or organization acts as the heart of the community and what do they do?
- Which local angels and VCs are actively investing and how many investments have they done in the past 12 months?
- What local startups are doing really well? Which ones are close to an IPO?
- What’s the B2B vs B2C startup mix like for the startup community?
These aren’t hard hitting questions but rather the goal is to get a feel for the community and get a feel for what is and isn’t working. I’m looking forward to the trip.
What else? What other questions should I ask and what should I look for in Austin?