Today I had the opportunity to hear Jim Collins at a workshop in Atlanta courtesy of EO Atlanta. Jim was amazing, truly amazing — so much energy, passion, and enthusiasm. At the very end he gave a list of 10 things leaders should add to their to do list.
Here are the 10 to do items courtesy of Jim Collins:
- Change your next big ‘what’ question into a ‘who’ question
- Double your questions to statements ratio
- Try to embrace the Stockdale Paradox – going along in life and get knocked down, and it happens over and over again
- Discover your personal hedge hog and focus on it
- Set your vision on three components: 100 year core values, purpose that answers question who would miss you if you disappeared, 25 year BHAG
- Set your 20-mile march
- Start a stop doing list (and have no more than 3 priorities)
- Turn off electronic gadgets and create pockets of quietude for one day every two weeks
- Get a huge return on next luck event
- Change from striving to be successful to being useful
I’d recommend reading his books as well as attending his events.
What else? What are your thoughts on the 10 to do items from Jim Collins?