Earlier this week two separate people that are in the process of moving to Atlanta from the Northeast reached out to me to learn how to get involved in the local startup community. In both cases there’s the desire to be closer to family — a popular reason for people moving to Atlanta.
Here are a few ideas on how to get involved in a startup community:
- Look for your college’s local alumni group (hopefully there’s a local entrepreneurship group for your college as well)
- Network to meet the connectors who enjoy putting people together and help out
- Find the influential venture capitalists in the area as they are almost always very involved
- Attend meetups and entrepreneurial get togethers to find like-minded people
- Write blog posts about your community experiences and tweet interesting information
- Join organizations like EO and YPO
Getting involved in a local startup community is rewarding and worthwhile. It takes time to develop rapport and build relationships, as with anything you get out of it what you put into it.
What else? What are some other ways to get involved in the startup community?