Insight Venture Partners has an excellent PDF up titled Insight’s Periodic Table of SaaS Sales Metrics where they break down seven different sales related categories and provide key metrics. This is super impressive as it was built using data from a number of their portfolio companies, so it’s real information from some of the fastest growing Software-as-a-Service companies in the world. Insight has an impressive track record with investments in companies like ExactTarget, AirWatch, and HootSuite.
Here are the Periodic Table of SaaS Sales Metrics categories with a couple key metrics:
- Business Development Reps (appointment setters)
– 2 months new BDR ramp time
– 10 sales qualified leads per week
- Inside Sales Reps
– 3 months new ISR ramp time
– $630k-$720k annual recurring revenue annual quota
- Field Sales Reps
– 6 months new FSR ramp time
– $800k – $1.3M annual recurring revenue annual quota
- New Business Bookings
– 6% average commission on up-sell bookings
– 66% of companies offer a trial before buying
– 2% median renewals commission rate
– 50% of churn is uncontrollable
- Professional Services
– 25% is the average professional services fees as percentage of 1st year contract
– 25% of companies give quota relief for professional services but no commissions
- Account Managers
– 60% account managers responsible for up-sell annual recurring revenue
– 30% – 50% average net promoter score
Anyone involved in SaaS should study the table and use it to benchmark against their internal numbers.
What else? What are your thoughts on Insight’s Periodic Table of SaaS Sales Metrics?