I’m fascinated by the growth of inside sales reps in organizations and the corresponding opportunities that are emerging in the market to support them. Inside sales growth is driven by a number of factors including:
- Productivity gains from modern cloud-based tools (e.g. CRM, marketing automation, etc.)
- Quality of video conferencing and screen sharing
- Continual margin pressure for many products
- Higher costs and hassles with travel
- More quantifiable results and tracking for management
At Pardot, we focused on selling into marketing departments but we had several great tools that sales people loved including Lead Deck, Chrome Extension for Gmail, and an Outlook Plugin. Adding value to the sales process, in addition to the marketing process, was a critical part of the Pardot value proposition.
Newer tools like SalesLoft, Rivalry, Calendly, and Voxa as well as back-office integration systems like Kevy really complement popular applications like Salesforce.com and Pardot (disclosure: I’m an investor in these new apps). Sales rep productivity continues to improve enabling professionals to close more deals with a shorter sales cycle. It’s win-win for everyone involved.
Inside sales is a fast-growing field and I’m excited to be a part of the industry.
What else? What are some other thoughts on the rise of the inside sales rep?