With 2015 almost upon us, it’s a good time to review goals for the next year. When I talk with entrepreneurs, I enjoy asking about their big-picture goals. Too often, I’ll hear “my goal is to build a successful tech company.” Great, what does successful mean (here’s my definition of a successful business)? That’s when I like to drill in and talk about SMART goals:
- Specific – What exactly are you going to accomplish?
- Measurable – How can you track it?
- Actionable – What steps do you need to take?
- Realistic – Is it truly feasible to accomplish the goal?
- Timeline – When will it be finished?
The next time you think of goals, think of SMART goals.
What else? What are some other thoughts on setting SMART goals?