Tomorrow I have the opportunity to moderate a panel on the Atlanta startup ecosystem with three great entrepreneurs including Lynn Laube, Greg Foster, and Tyler Droll at the Rotary Club of Atlanta. As moderator, I like to go through a few simple preparation steps:
- Develop 5 standard questions
- Develop 2 panelist-specific questions (e.g. a question directed at a specific panelist)
- Develop 3 recent news/events questions (the goal with the questions isn’t to get through them all but rather to have different options available based on how the conversation flows)
- Confirm panel attendance 48 hours in advance
- Meet 30 minutes before the panel to go over any last minute items, ensure mics work, etc.
As moderator, I want to make sure the panel conversation is lively, interesting and worthwhile — I’ve been to too many panels that weren’t engaging. Assuming the panelists are strong, this type of panel moderator preparation helps ensure a quality event.
What else? What are some more panel moderator preparation ideas?