One of the important leadership lessons I learned at Pardot is that companies grow as fast as the people grow. Some companies have a preference for bringing in experienced people from the outside that already have grown to the necessary level. Other companies have a preference for promoting from within and looking to grow their own people. Have a high growth company? Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Build a management training program
- Seek out mentors that have scaled a business before and can help
- Engage recruiters to build a talent pipeline to augment the team when needed
- Use chronological in-depth survey interviews for more senior talent
- Implement a culture-oriented hiring process with an eye towards people that can grow with the company
Entrepreneurs would do well to build an environment that recruits, trains, and grows people as fast, if not faster, than the growth of the business.
What else? What are some more thoughts on the idea that companies grow as fast as the people grow?