After sharing the story of 27 SaaS Products for the Marketing Department with an entrepreneur, I got to wondering if there’s going to emerge a new category of product: marketing orchestration platform. Today, marketing departments run as a federation of specialized functions managed by a central project management app like Trello or Asana. Only, the project management app is just for the projects, not for coordinating all the moving parts.
Here’s what a marketing orchestration platform might do:
- Connect via APIs to the major applications used by marketing
- Automatically show all campaigns/programs/processes running
- Collect all the relevant metrics and data for processing and visualization
- Apply machine learning to the data and make recommendations
- Facilitate coordination and timing of on-going programs
Then again, it might be too complicated and cumbersome and make all that happen elegantly. If someone can pull it off, it feels like a gap in the market. I’m curious to see if a standalone product emerges or if the marketing automation vendors get better at becoming a platform that other apps integrate with (the same way Salesforce.com has done) and marketing automation becomes the marketing orchestration hub.
What else? What are some more thoughts on a marketing orchestration platform?