Culture is one of my favorite topics as it’s so critical to successful organizations. I’ve seen OK cultures and I’ve seen amazing cultures — the amazing ones always grow faster and outperform their peers. Only, scaling a strong culture is hard as there’s much more complexity.
Here are a few thoughts on scaling culture:
- Implement a culture check team to interview every potential hire
- Run a culture-oriented hiring process
- Reinforce the core values with each quarterly check-in
- Design career paths for every team member
- Put the culture front and center with the Simplified One Page Strategic Plan
Once the team grows beyond the co-founders, it’s time to start thinking about culture. As the startup finds product/market fit and a repeatable customer acquisition process, culture needs to be intentional.
What else? What are some more ideas for scaling culture in a fast-growing startup?