Once a startup has product/market fit, one of the best things they can do is a Simplified One Page Strategic Plan and update it on a quarterly basis. The concept is easy: put the most important high-level things about the business on one side of one sheet of paper and ensure everyone in the organization understands all aspects of it. Nothing more, nothing less — make it a simple doc.
Here are the contents of the Simplified One Page Strategic Plan (Google Doc template and example plan):
- One line purpose
- General – fit on one line
- People – fit on one line
- One line description of your market
- One line brand promise
- No more than three sentences for the elevator pitch
3 Year Target
- One line with the goal
- 3-5 annual goals in table format with the start value, current value, and target value
- 3-5 quarterly goals in table format with the start value, current value, and target value
Quarterly Priority Projects
- Three one-line priority projects with the percent complete for each
Entrepreneurs would do well to implement the Simplified One Page Strategic Plan (Google Doc template, example plan) and update it on a quarterly basis.
What else? What are some more thoughts on the Quarterly Simplified One Page Strategic Plan?