One of the more popular questions I get is “How do you write a blog post everyday?” I think the “why” question is more interesting, but the “how” comes up more often. Here’s my routine:
- Keep a list of possible topics on my iPhone (I usually add 1-2 topics per day)
- Major news or announcements immediately become top priority (like Salesforce.com buying ExactTarget/Pardot)
- Review the list of potential topics and take the one that is most interesting (weekends are toughest since professional conversations are where most of my ideas come from)
- Time box the writing of the post to 25 minutes — crank it all out and let it marinate a bit
- If traveling, write a few posts in advance, otherwise write each post on the day it’s published
- Find a rhythm and stick to it (my original goal was to write one post a week and I found it easier to do it daily)
After writing daily for a month, things become much easier and it felt like I was developing a muscle. With a few years under my belt, I don’t think too much of it anymore.
What else? What are your thoughts on writing as another muscle you develop?