Several weeks ago a young professional that wants to be an entrepreneur approached me for advice about being an entrepreneur and having a family. He had just had his first child and was looking for ideas. Having spent time thinking through this I offered up a fews ideas:
- Write down a set of rules and guidelines and share them with your spouse (getting everyone on the same page is critical)
- No more than one early breakfast meeting and evening meeting per week (e.g. networking event or professional meeting)
- Have dinner with the kid(s) at least five nights per week
- No more than five business days of travel per quarter (some jobs make this difficult to achieve)
- One week of vacation for the entire family per quarter (must go out of town)
- Hold a weekly date night and leave the kid(s) with a babysitter
Developing a rhythm like this results in clear expectations and helps with the work/life blend. Every family is different but this process has worked well for ours.
What else? What are some other thoughts on finding a rhythm as an entrepreneur with a family?