Following up on the Notes from John Paul DeJoria, there was an area that I wanted to explore further. DeJoria talks about his personal rhythm, including taking a solo retreat each year to the mountains for a couple days to ask questions like what am I doing and what do I want to be doing. Personally, I don’t take a solo retreat but I think it’s a great idea.
There are a number of things I do for my own rhythm:
- No iPhone or laptop in the morning for the first 30 minutes
- No more than one breakfast meeting and one evening meeting per week
- Weekly exercise of at least 90 minutes
- Weekly date night with my wife
- Weekly adventure with only my kids
- No more than one week of business travel per quarter
- Quarterly week-long out-of-town family vacation
- Annual review of personal, family, and professional goals
I’ve talked many times about developing a rhythm in business and I think it’s even more important to develop a rhythm for life.
What else? What are some other items that are part of your own rhythm for life?